skip navigation
  Our people  
  News update   
Labelling advice  
A guide to the law  
Site map  
Contact us  
English & Welsh Wine  
  This page is based on the main enquiries we receive for general advice. For more detailed questions please contact your Regional Inspector. picture of wine glasses

1. Why does the WSB visit traders and vineyards and
keep a register?

Back to top


Our Inspectors are iq option demo entitled to visit your premises to make checks on your stock and records if you import, ship or market wine sector products or grow grapes or make wine from fresh grapes grown in the UK. We keep a register of such traders to manage our programme of visits and keep the UK’s statistical record of area under vine, harvest and wine production. Further advice can be obtained by contacting your Regional Inspector. (See Our Inspectors page.)



2. Where can I find information about regulations?

Back to top


The WSB issues guidance notes about labelling and accompanying documentation. You can download a pdf version here:

Notes for Guidance
Movement of Wines

Detailed information on EU and UK National legislation is to be found on our page A Guide to the Law

The Wine & Spirit Trade Association offers information through its Checklists (fee payable for non-members)



3. Do I have to pay for WSB advice?

Back to top


There is no charge for advice we give. Information about labelling and other aspects of wine sector regulations is given on the basis of our interpretation of European Wine Legislation as it applies to the United Kingdom through the CAP Wine Regulations.



4. What is a VI1?

Back to top


A VI1 is a document issued in a Third Country of origin giving a description and analysis details for wines imported into the European Community. It is not issued by the Wine Standards Board.



5. When do I need a VI2 and where do I get one?

Back to top


A VI2 is an extract of the certificate and analysis report known as a VI1 which must accompany imports from Third Countries. A VI2 is used for the movement of Third Country wines when a consignment is split before entry into free circulation. This is issued by HMRC. HMRC also supplies details about import and excise duty on wine.

Contact HM Revenue & Customs for more information.



6. How can I get advice about label design?

Back to top


The main requirements for different categories of wine are set out in notes listed in A Guide to the Law:

EU Still wine regulations (PDF - Revised Jun 05)
EU Sparkling wine regulations (PDF - Revised Apr 05)
EU Third Country wine regulations (PDF - Revised Jun 05)
Other Products. (PDF)

For advice on specific labels, please contact your local Inspector.



7. I’m thinking of starting up as an importer – what do I need to do?

Back to top


Contacting your Regional Inspector will be a good start,
see Our People-Inspectors. You need to be aware of documentary and labelling requirements, including an import licence and VI1 certification for Third Country wines. Notes for Guidance gives details of other authorities you may need to contact.



8. Do I need a licence to trade in wine?

Back to top


A new Licencing System is being introduced in 2005 comprising a Premises Licence and a Personal Licence. For further information consult your Local Authority (Trading Standards) or the Department of Culture, Media and Sport website Guidance material has also been published by the WSTA and Off-Licence News.



9. What is a CAD and an AAD and when are they used?

Back to top


A Commercial Accompanying Document (CAD) must be used in the UK for the transport of grapes either when sold or when the distance travelled exceeds 40km. The CAD is provided by the WSB to UK vine growers annually. It is also required by some Third Countries as a certificate of origin for Community produced wines. CADs for this purpose are supplied by Head Office to traders on our Register.

The Administrative Accompanying Document (AAD) is required by HM Revenue and Customs for movements under duty suspension: see Customs Notice 197



10. When will I need an import licence?



You need an import licence if you import more than 3000 litres of either red or white wine from outside the EU. These are issued by the Rural Payments Agency. They can be contacted at

Back to top


11. I am a producer from outside the European Community seeking advice on labelling and documentation. Who should I contact?



If the information is not available in the Guide to the Law, you should direct your enquiry to your importer in the UK. (Importers in other EC countries should contact the authorities in those countries.)

Back to top


12. Who is responsible for procedures for import of wine made from organic grapes?



For wines from outside the EC, you should look at the Defra website for further information Registration with a UK organic inspection body is required for imports from countries with comparable organic regimes and for other countries Defra will issue annual import authorisation (fee payable) on completion of a standardised application form. Wines from other Member States will be covered by the inspection bodies authorised by each country.

Back to top


13. Where can I find out about rates of excise duty?



HM Revenue & Customs publishes this information on its website – see Excise and Other section

Back to top